Understanding Dental Implants
Seeking for an alternative to dentures for replacing missing teeth? Dental implants are something for you to consider. These natural-looking and long-lasting restorations give you an aesthetically pleasing smile and fully functional set of teeth.
Dental implants are usually made of titanium. They are surgically inserted into your jawbone to create an artificial tooth root. The implant will later fuse with your bone so that it becomes a permanent part of your body. Once the healing has taken place, a post is placed which will then follow by an artificial tooth or crown to complete the restoration. The process requires multiple dental visits over the course of a couple of months. However, the satisfaction is priceless.
Most dentists can perform implant procedures nowadays. However, some patients still choose to seek treatment from a specialist i.e. an oral surgeon. In the case where your dentist does not offer this procedure, ask for a referral to another qualified professional for quality treatment.
With excellent oral care, dental implants can last for at least twenty years. With them, you and others won’t even realize they are there. Other benefits of dental implants include:
- No diet restrictions, you’re free to eat whatever you want.
- No replacements or updates are necessary.
- Implants looks and feels like natural teeth.
- Easy maintenance by normal brushing and flossing.
- Will not develop tooth decay or cavities.
- They are securely attached to the jaw, so there is no risk of loosening.
Advantages of Dental Implants
Dental implants are an excellent treatment option for people with missing teeth. While bridges and dentures can fill also the gaps left by severe tooth decay or gum disease, dental implants have many advantages over these other techniques.
Dental implants, generally made of titanium, act as a replacement root for the missing tooth and are fused to the jawbone. Dental implants become a foundation for replacement teeth designed by a dentist and are the closest thing a dentist can provide to mimicking the root of a natural tooth.
Dental implants have many benefits, among them:
- They’re more convenient. Dental bridges require that you clean carefully under and around the bridged tooth. Dentures must be removed and cleaned, and they are held in place by messy adhesives. Dental implants are cleaned and maintained exactly as your natural teeth would be. You never have to worry about slippage or cleaning between the replacement bridge tooth and your gum. The tooth is attached to the gum through the dental implant, which is fused with your jawbone.
- They’re more attractive. Dental implants are specially designed to look and feel like your own natural teeth. No one but you and your dentist will know! Because you are looking better, your self-esteem will be higher and you’ll feel better and more confident about your smile.
- They’re more secure. Ill-fitting dentures or dental bridges can slip in the mouth, leading to discomfort, slurred speech and difficulties eating. Because the dental implants are permanently fused with the jawbone, they cannot slip. This allows you to eat, speak, and drink with security.
- They’re better for your long-term oral health. Dental bridges require that you reduce the surface area and size of your existing teeth in order to support the bridge. Dental implants don’t require that other teeth be reduced, allowing more of your natural teeth to be left intact, improving your overall oral health.
- They’re durable. With proper care, your implants can last a lifetime.
Prepare to be Pampered.
The Role of Dental Implants
Dental implants are one of the best tooth replacement methods available, as they provide a natural and permanent solution to missing teeth.
Implants are made of strong material such as titanium, and are surgically placed right into your jawbone and then a crown is placed on top to restore your tooth.
The implant fuses with your bone as it heals, creating a very comfortable and appealing result. There are a number of reasons that implants have become such a popular solution for tooth restoration.
Implants look and feel like your real teeth. Since they permanently grow into your jaw, they are secure and leave no problems with eating or speaking. You can be confident in your new tooth blending right in with your natural smile.
There are no discomforts with implants as with removable dentures. You can chew effectively and enjoy your normal diet. There is also no gum irritation or exposed nerves that sometimes accompany other tooth replacement methods.
Permanent dental implants eliminate the inconvenience of removing dentures for cleaning and sleeping. There are no messy adhesives to bother with, and your teeth are securely in place.
Your teeth play a big part in your ability to speak clearly. Dentures are known to create speech problems when they slip in your mouth, whereas implants never slip and you can continue to speak normally.
All of your natural teeth are unaffected when dental implants are placed, and the implant itself allows you to practice oral hygiene tasks as usual.
With implants, there is no reason to hide your smile anymore. Your complete smile will be restored and you can be confident in your natural new look.
There is a very high success rate with implants. With proper maintenance of regular brushing and flossing and regular checkups, implants usually last up to 15 years or more.