Care Of Cosmetic Dentistry
The Care and Keeping of Porcelain Veneers
How long porcelain veneers last depends greatly on how well you take care of them.
With proper care, these restorations can continue sprucing up your smile for 10 to 15 years.
To help increase the lifespan of your dental veneers, practice the following tips to keep them looking and functioning their best.
- Maintain good oral hygiene. Brush your teeth twice a day, rinse with mouthwash, and floss.
- Use a soft toothbrush and non-abrasive whitening toothpaste.
- Avoid chewing on hard objects like pens, ice, or even your fingernails. While porcelain veneers are very durable, hard items can cause them to chip.
- Refrain from excessive snacking, which can promote tooth decay. The porcelain itself is immune to tooth decay; however, the uncovered part of the tooth is still susceptible to decay and therefore to cavities.
- If you grind your teeth at night, you may want to consider having your dentist fit you for a night guard to protect your teeth while you sleep.
- Wear a protective mouth guard when playing contact sports.
- Do not smoke as it is known to yellow teeth, and avoid food and drinks that are known to stain teeth such as tea, coffee, and soda.
- Visit your dentist twice a year for cleanings and checkups. Regular visits will give your dentist an opportunity to check on your porcelain veneers and identify potential problems before they become severe.
Porcelain veneers are a wonderful cosmetic solution to a variety of dental flaws. Veneers effectively cover chips, cracks, stains, gaps, and more. Taking proper care of your dental veneers will help to ensure their beauty and function for years to come.
Prepare to be Pampered.
A New Smile with Veneers
One of the most common procedures in cosmetic dentistry today is dental veneers. Many types of problems can be remedied with veneers, such as teeth that are chipped, broken, gapped, misshapen, or discolored. A veneer is a very thin shell usually made of porcelain that is bonded to the fronts of teeth to hide flaws.
One of the best things about dental veneers is that they immediately transform your smile the minute they are placed. They are very natural-looking because the porcelain reflects light in the same way as real teeth. Discolored or stained teeth are erased by veneers that are created in the shade you choose. Porcelain resists stains so you no longer have to worry about discoloration. You get to keep your original teeth since veneers are attached directly to them. Veneers are not only an attractive choice, they are also strong and durable.
The process for getting dental veneers takes two or three appointments. At the first visit, you will have an examination and X-rays to learn if you are a good candidate for veneers. If this type of restoration is suitable for you and will help you achieve your goals, your dentist can customize your smile based on your facial features, coloring, complexion, and other characteristics. A mold will be taken of your mouth and sent to a dental laboratory for your veneers to be made. When they are ready in about a week, you will return to the dental office to have them attached to check for things like fit and color. The veneers will then be permanently bonded to your teeth and final modifications will be completed.
Your normal oral hygiene routine can be continued, including gentle regular brushing with a soft toothbrush and daily flossing. Regular dental checkups every six months should be maintained for checkups and cleanings. Avoid chewing or biting on hard items so that your veneers will not chip or break. If you follow these guidelines, your veneers should last a very long time.
Get Your New Smile Today!
Our team of cosmetic dentistry experts are ready for you.
Call: (941) 927-5450